Friday 12 March 2010

"He is a top-class keeper and one day you will see I'm right"

Arsene Wenger has backed Lucasz Fabianski to be a great keeper, but said that it could have had severe negative effect on him if Arsenal had been eliminated from the Champion's League by Porto. Wenger was quoted on the Daily Mail today today saying that:

"Yes, it would have had long-term mental consequences for him had we gone out. He could have felt, 'ah, they blame me', even if it wasn't true.So I think the result on Tuesday has helped him to recover. He is a top-class keeper and one day you will see I'm right".

For what it's worth, I agree. A lot of fans criticised Nicklas Bendnter last weekend after he missed a few chances, but he came back with a hattrick against Porto to prove the doubters wrong and I believe that Fabianski will do the same (prove the doubters wrong, not score a hattrick). I believe Arsene Wenger knows that Manuel Almunia is a competent keeper but not world class, and I think it his belief in Fabianski, along with Wojciech Szczesny, currently on loan at Brentford, that have discouraged him from buying a new keeper.

"I really believe in him [Szczesny] that he will one day be Arsenal's No 1," said Wenger. "He has all the qualities you want from a goalkeeper. That means a good basic confidence level, he is very brave, fantastic size, very agile and his speed in his reflexes is absolutely unbelievable."

I couldn't agree more. And with Vito Mannone also in the mix, buying a new keeper now would be a short-term fix to a long-term problem.

As usual, Arsene knows.

Share via Social Network

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment